How do I get a copy of my accident report?
How do I get a copy of my accident report?

If you’ve been in an accident recently, you might be wondering how do I get a copy of my accident report?  In any accident, big or small, it is always a good idea to get the police involved to file an accident report as this will memorialize the details of an accident which can be very helpful as you pursue your case.  Never admit or comment on fault, but do get the report so you have a record of details pertaining to your accident.

Is a Report Mandatory?

The Arizona State Legislature set the requirement for an accident report only for accidents involving death or injury and if you have an accident of this type you are required to contact law enforcement immediately.  Even in a minor accident, we recommend a report be filed as if there is an accident and you decide it’s no big deal and the other party files a report on their own, you could be looking at a hit-and-run.  Bottom line, call the police and file the report.

How do I get my report?

If you’re involved in an accident on a highway, it is likely that a state trooper will be involved.   In this situation, the Department of Public Safety (DPS) will manage the report and has 14 days to complete the report and file it.

To get a report from DPS, you need to fill out their request form and mail it to DPS’s records department.  There are costs associated with the report which starts at $9 and will vary if the report is long and/or has pictures attached to it.  If you prefer to not use the form, a letter can suffice provided you reference the report number which will be on the documentation provided at the scene by the attending officer.  The report number is usually in the top right corner of this document.

Alternatively, which may be most folks first option is to visit the DPS website which can provide all the details you’ll need.

If you’re dealing with local police, there are procedures which vary by jurisdiction.  When local police are involved, here are some tips on getting your report from some of the larger police organizations.  If you’re area is not covered, you’ll need to call local police to find out what steps to take.

Phoenix:  The police department’s address is 1717 East Grant Street, S-100 in Phoenix.  You are able to go in person or by mail but you must be a party to the accident or have a relationship to the party in the accident.

Mesa, The process here can be done online by visiting  If the accident had a fatality this does not apply.  The cost is $5 and you need to have a report number and date of accident.

Tempe, In Tempe a written request is needed and the cost is $5 for a 20-page report.  You can drop the request in person or by mail.

Scottsdale, just like Mesa, they use  so you can get the report online.  You’ll also need the report number and date of accident.

Glendale  allows you to download your report by visiting the website

If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident and injured, you have our deepest concern and sympathy.  Contact us at Accident Law Group to get a complete assessment of your case.  We built our firm to help you build fight and win your case and make sure the rights you have under the law are protected.

Accident Law Group makes our very best effort to make sure that the news or informational sources that we report about or reference are correct and accurate.  We can’t guarantee that every detail is complete or accurate.  Our information is gathered by sources which we do not control.  If any inaccuracy or error is found, we will do our best to correct any errant information as soon as possible.