Posted on March 2, 2018
Why do parking lots spawn so many accidents? You are most likely to find fender-benders in accidents, especially when somebody is not looking when they back out of a space, or pull into a spot and don’t see another driver there, rear-ending them. Drivers in parking lots tend to be distracted as they are looking for the perfect spot, which means that accidents are more likely to happen in the blink of an eye. The good news: Many of these accidents tend to be low-speed collisions, which means that the injuries tend not to be as serious as high-speed collisions that knock your vehicle around the highway.
When You’ve Been Involved in a Parking Lot Accident
When you have been injured in a parking lot accident, you want to protect your rights – which means that you should always act quickly to start preserving your case. Here are some steps you can take immediately after your accident.
- Ensure that all vehicles and people are out of the way and protected. You don’t want any other accidents to result.
- Ensure that medical assistance is on their way to evaluate all parties.
- Make sure that the police are alerted to the accident, especially if you have sustained injuries. You will be able to receive a police report following the accident.
- Take pictures of damages to the vehicles as well as your injuries as soon as possible.
- Exchange information with the drivers, passengers, and witnesses on the scene.
- Ensure that you have all detailed facts surrounding the accident, such as the location, weather conditions, time, and more.
- Speak to your attorney as soon as possible about how to move forward.
One of the most promising revelations of these accidents is that they tend to have many witnesses. This is because parking lots seem to always be booming with life. Not only that, but they also tend to have surveillance cameras all over the place. However, it is a good idea to have as many pictures as possible to show what happened through your own eyes as well. Sometimes, if it will be useful to your injury claim, your attorney could help you subpoena the footage as a way to litigate your case to the best of their ability.
Another very common type of accident in parking lots is those involving pedestrians. Sometimes, a vehicle backs up and strikes a pedestrian, which shows that the driver was not watching out closely for other people in a parking lot. If you were a pedestrian who sustained serious injuries due to the negligent actions of a driver, you also have a right to compensation just like somebody who has been injured in a motor vehicle. In these accidents, it is not uncommon to walk away with injuries, pain, suffering, and medical bills that never seem to end.
Have you sustained injuries due to the negligence of another party who was not watching out for people in a parking lot? These accidents happen for a variety of reasons and, though they happen at low speeds most of the time, you can still be seriously injured. We realize this and want to help. Call us today at the Accident Law Group for more information, at 602-262-4254.